Torre del Salto d’Angio

  • The Torre del Salto d’Angio

    A Turri

  • Castello d'Angiò
  • A Turri Salto d'Angiò
  • Salto d'Angiò A Turri
  • The Torre del Salto d’Angio
  • A Turri Salto d'Angiò
  • The Torre del Salto d’Angio
  • The Castle Salto d'Angiò
  • The Tower Salto d'Angiò
  • Salto d'Angiò the castle

The Torre del Salto d’Angio, also called A Turri – The Tower, is located approximately 12 kilometres from Aragona, in the province of Agrigento.

Of rectangular shape, the structure is surrounded by the main building of an ancient farmhouse of the 17th century, and is divided in three sections : the first and the third floors have old mullioned windows with semi-circular arches, whereas the second floor has pointed arch windows.
This imposing construction stands in the middle of three courtyards, where once was the direct environment of the agricultural exploitation.

The Torre del Salto d’Angio is located where three lands meet : Diesi, Cantarella and Muxarello and overlooks the territory of the latter two. During the historical period between the 13th century and 14th century, these two properties were consolidated into a single property : Muxaro.

The Tower over the centuries was renovated a number of times, and today the Tower is a structure with an incomparable charm, standing alone and isolated in a wonderful landscape

The Tower Salto d'Angiò

The Tower: history

After some historical events, around 1200, Frederic II gave the Minzar’s castel (in Arabic, “El Minzar” means panorama) and the Muxaro’s property with all its territories to the bishop Ursone.

After the death of the bishop, the King ordered that Agrigento’s canons had to designate Raimondo d’Aquaviva as heir.

Around 1300, the bishop Bertoldo gave the property to Francesco da Todi, who swapped it for the Morgidiar’s castel of Giovanni di Chiaramonte.

After the death of the last heir of Chiaramonte’s family, all their possessions were confiscated and given by King Martino to Fillipo de Merino.

Around 1750, the family Morreale was the major landowner of Muxarello and Cantarella.

In 1848, Giuseppe II Morreale decided to build new constructions around the Tower.